Thread: Plingger - Feature Requests.

Plingger - Feature Requests.

Here are a few thoughts I had to enhance the Pligg Pro Plingger module. Before I do so, however, it is worth noting that I just upgraded from 0.1 to 0.4 and the enhancements are noticeable and appreciated!
    1. When running Plingger it should run in a normal template window, providing navigation controls so that the user doesn't have to user the back button.
    2. It should attempt each ping in turn and write back to the page whether it succeeded or not instead of waiting till it has completed to display any feedback.
    3. Instead of keeping the list in a text file, the list of sites to ping could be in the database.
    4. One could edit the list of sites to ping through the admin. interface.
    David.

Pligg Developer/Coder/Designer ChuckRoast's Avatar
    1. When running Plingger it should run in a normal template window, providing navigation controls so that the user doesn't have to user the back button.
    When I put this together I was more concerned with the functionality rather than the aesthetics. Most people run the file through a cron so I didn't think that having a back button was that important. But this is planned for future versions. I really only added the manual ping feature because there are still quite a few people that have no clue what a cron task is.

Code:
    2. It should attempt each ping in turn and write back to the page whether it succeeded or not instead of waiting till it has completed to display any feedback
    I wanted it to run in one process. This cuts down on server load and would make the user have to set up a multiple cron jobs for each server. If I had done it that way.. People would have complained to no end.

Code:
     3. Instead of keeping the list in a text file, the list of sites to ping could be in the database.
    Once again this was intentional. I wanted it to be simple enough for anyone to use and also to keep the database server load down.

Code:
     4. One could edit the list of sites to ping through the admin. interface.
    While this does sound obvious, and is planned for future version it was also intentional at the time. It basically adds a weak point when thinking about security.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
    Help Keep ChuckRoast Home
    Today's Pligg Blog Post

Yeah - all your reasoning is solid...and I am using it w/cron myself.

Help w/ Plingger and Cron

I'm trying to get Plingger setup as a cronjob. I'm testing the command first - this looks like it should be correct but I get errors. Here's how I'm executing it:

/usr/local/bin/php /home/content/f/j/r/fjrussell/html/fjr/modules/plingger/pliggpinger.php

I got a lot of errors like:

"Wrong parameter count for preg_replace()"

Any help with this is sincerely appreciated.