This thread was initially started by Ash. This is a reprint resurrected from the dead... I wasn't able to get the whole thing, but I got most of it.
When you "vote" for a story, a +10 is put into the "votes" table. One real vote = 10 database votes. When you report a story, it gets - (minus) votes. The doesn't actually effect anything at the moment.
There is a "discard.php" file that we've not yet implemented that is supposed to be put into a cron so it runs every X minutes. This file will look at the negative votes and decide if action should be taken. Right now, 2 negative reports will "discard" a story and remove it from the pages, IF you have the cron running the "discard.php" file.
I don't believe the original author is going to leave it like this, it's just a "proof of concept" I suppose.
We have not yet discussed how we're going to handle this.
How does the community feel? What are your ideas on this?
Thanks for asking the community to contribute on this point. I have a few errant thoughts on the topic:
- The formula should be customizable by the site.
- The votes to remove an item should be in some way proportionate to the votes for it. For a default, I'd say a report should remove 5 database votes.
- If the database votes is < 0, then the story probably should go dark. For example, if 5 people voted for it, but 11 people voted against, it's a goner.
- Votes against could be weighted by severity. An "old news" vote may be worth 3, a "lame" vote may be worth 2, a "duplicate" vote worth 5, etc. By default, I would make them all 5.
- We want to give these stories a chance to live, so I'd advise that the sitekeep that in mind when setting up the cron job. I wouldn't run it every minute, because a gang of people could have a knee-jerk reaction and cancel a brand new story without knowing the facts. That said, we wouldn't want a bad story to live too long either. I would advise that the suggested default interval for the cron job be 30 minutes.
I would add one thing.. There's a site called spikedhumor that I visit often, and they have a weighted voting system.. So positive and negative votes are weighted depending on that user's contribution (# comments & submitted stories).. This gives more credence to longtime contributors than newbies. This would also stop spammy visitors.