Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embedding Videos Protection Code

Embedding Videos Protection Code

Can someone please code something that will search through the URL being embeddeding when the EMBED TAG is allowed in Description box.

Basically, it would check to see if the URL being embedded is from a certain domain -- if it's not, it denies the file.

We could setup multiple domains etc.

I desperately need this mod please someone try to work on this!

Youtube's coding works like this:
    Code:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihAoSwQqo44"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihAoSwQqo44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    So it would check the <param name="movie" value="CHECK_THIS_URL_HERE"
    and <embed src="CHECK_THIS_URL_HERE"

It would check to see if those were coming from youtube.com's domain... if not, denied and doesnt go to the next step.

How about making some special tags for the video services ? I've just tested this module for Joomla, and it is absolutely brilliant. With it, you only have to write eg. {youtube}374536{/youtube} inside your content - the number being the youtube video id - and you're done.

This has been discussed previously and no one has stepped up even when money has been offered. I am looking to hire a PHP programmer to get this done if no one will volunteer to do this simple mod:

http://www.pligg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230

Mayor of PliggVille/Coder AshDigg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw View Post
    How about making some special tags for the video services ? I've just tested this module for Joomla, and it is absolutely brilliant. With it, you only have to write eg. {youtube}374536{/youtube} inside your content - the number being the youtube video id - and you're done.
    Thats pretty cool, thanks for posting it. I'll see if I can easily modify it to work with Pligg.

Quote Originally Posted by AshDigg View Post
    Thats pretty cool, thanks for posting it. I'll see if I can easily modify it to work with Pligg.
    That would be great!

maybe bbcode parsing will be put on the todo list

Or how about making it more user friendly by adding a field for people to just paste the embed code during the submit process and have the system reject the code if not from a list of accepted sites?

Asking people to learn a new convention to post videos is not a user-friendly method of doing things. Scanning the submitted embed for acceptable domains (youtube, google, etc) would be plenty secure enough.

FYI, I suggested this solution also for the 'embed filter' module of Drupal, which does pretty much what Renegade asks for. But they had some convincing argument against it. http://drupal.org/node/79573 ...

This would put the onus of knowing each service's tag format on the module maintainer (me). In my opinion, it is much more flexible to simply let any object, embed or script tag be used, as long as the security measures are met. After all, media sharing services are springing up like wildflowers, and would be quixotic to try to keep up with them all. Besides, it is actually easier for Joe-no-html to copy the entire tag as provided by the service rather than have to worry about what the unique id is and what the tag syntax is.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckFat View Post
    This has been discussed previously and no one has stepped up even when money has been offered. I am looking to hire a PHP programmer to get this done if no one will volunteer to do this simple mod:
    will you share it afterward ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast