I have spent a lot of time converting the Status module into Ajax, not all the functionality of the original status module has been converted yet but it's about 80% complete. Currently, I have the status module sitting inside a layer on top of the main page. I have it like this because its easy to get to it for testing purpose but I REALLY want to have this in its own page accessible from the top menu.
Can you tell me how I can move status_list.tpl into its own page? Kinda like how Video Ferret is?
Some of the features of my modified status modules include the following:
1. Get your own status updates and your friend status updates via AJAX i.e. without having to reload a page everytime.
2. See your friend's wall or status page. Like twitter, you can click on any users name and visit their wall. There you can choose to follow them. This is also done without reloading of the page.
3. You also have friend's icons in the right sidebar like twitter, it shows your friend's icons. On clicking the icon, you go to that user's wall and have the option to send him/her a message. If this is a user that is not your friend, you will have an option to Follow them. Similarly there will be a No Follow option for your existing friends.
4. Hide, Delete also do not require a page reload. Simply click on hide or delete and that status will disappear via Ajax from the status page and will be adjusted in the DB without ever reloading the page.
5. Submitting status update is also done via Ajax with results refreshed without ever having to leave the page.
6. Search and the results are also shown via Ajax, its faster because you never have to reload the page.
7. Anytime there is a @username in the status message, it will be changed to link to users wall. When you click on that link you go directly to the users wall without having to reload the page.
These are just a few changes that I have made so far. I am trying to keep the core functionality intended for this module. The most important thing left to do is Pagination and then it is pretty much done.
I would really appreciate if you can tell me how to move status_list.tpl to its own page. If you want to check out this module in action, you can take a look at http://linkcity.tv and login using username: squidup and password: squidup. The Wall button is on the left side of the page. Don't be surprised if at time it's doing something weird, it's because i'm still working on it. This is one of my test sites.
Azam | SquidUp.org