Thread: How many members does it take to really get moving?

How many members does it take to really get moving?

So I was curious how many members does it take to really get a Pligg site moving? I mean to the point where all the stories on the front of the site are from with 24 hours.

So how many people do you have signed up and how fast does your site move?

At the time of this post I have 109 people signed up including myself, but I have only been public since Oct 1st (online since 9/27).

I know I can't be the only one curious about these things.

Pligg Developer/Coder/Designer ChuckRoast's Avatar
    It really depends on a number of different factors including what the sites niche is, the type of content it offers, being text, video, audio, flash-games, etc, and what features you promote.

I always advise people to promote their content not their site.
    People don't want to here " hey come look at this site" as mush as "hey look what I found on this site"

Getting people to sign up is not all that hard, getting a good return on those people is the key. Getting people to post quality stuff is an extremely arduous task.

The first mistake people make when starting a site is thinking that the content is just going to roll in.

It takes an enormous amount of time and an even more amount of patience.
    Help Keep ChuckRoast Home
    Today's Pligg Blog Post

Quote Originally Posted by chuckroast View Post
    Getting people to sign up is not all that hard, getting a good return on those people is the key. Getting people to post quality stuff is an extremely arduous task.
    I have found this to be very true with both my Pligg site and my other site. You can get 1,000 clicks on a banner ad to your site, 100 of those people might register, and then 10 of those people might make one post.

Chuckroast wrote:
    People don't want to here " hey come look at this site" as much as "hey look what I found on this site"
    I have to agree. I think a third person recommendation is more affective to gain activity. Some of my best promotional results are from blog or forum links. Also, wrote "personalized" e-mail to some of my posters to gain activity. Although, I only have managed to inspire a few users to post more frequently.

rockmymonkey wrote:
    I have found this to be very true with both my Pligg site and my other site. You can get 1,000 clicks on a banner ad to your site, 100 of those people might register, and then 10 of those people might make one post.
    I have had a little better rate of success, but is most likely due to the reasons noted above. Since, my typical post required a fair amount of input, I had to edit more of them, more often.

Presently, I have one user that is a good advocate for the site. I just have to figure out how to get others, without giving a big prize. At my current rate of traffic, it will take a few years to payback the contest prize that I awarded last month. BTW, my site advocate was the winner.

I would be interested in learning how other Pligg publishers created traffic to their sites.

I used contacts that I already had with my other site. So I was able to send a targeted press release to heavy music sites around the world. Google news even picked up one of the blogs that posted my press release.

Now I am also trying to get my press agent contacts to name drop the site in one of their press releases. like "GENERIC BAND's new video BLANK hit the front page of HeavyAsHell.com in a matter of only two hours!" So far no one has taken me up on that one though.

I also bought an ad on the ad network I am a member of. This runs out sometime Friday though. Then in one month I hope to do the same thing with a contest added to it.

That is a ton of work but it does seem to be slowly picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmymonkey View Post
    So how many people do you have signed up and how fast does your site move?
    Hi everybody!
    I didnt yet startup my digg-like site, but I think that it important how many users are posting news but not how many people signed up.

With your first step it can be your friends. You can ask them to post on your site.

I will do it in this way

Quote Originally Posted by minaton View Post
    Hi everybody!
    I didnt yet startup my digg-like site, but I think that it important how many users are posting news but not how many people signed up.

With your first step it can be your friends. You can ask them to post on your site.

I will do it in this way
    I think that is pretty obvious to everyone and misses my point. In any study of marketing you will find trends. So what I wonder is what trends there might be. I have a feeling that Pligg is going to end up with numbers that are very close to the forum on my other site. About ten percent of the people who sign up will be active members. 1% of the people that visit the site will stick around for more then the one article they got to by clicking a link on another site. These are good things to know.

How many registered members equals how many active users?

How many unique hits a day equals how many people that submit a story?

How many users will just vote and comment and how many will be "news hounds"?

And many more averages.

Looking at these things can show you trends that may answer many other questions we all have in the back of our minds. If you think that just having a few friends will beat these numbers/trends you will be very disappointed and get very frustrated quickly when those friends move on. However if you know that (for example) 1,000 registered members in one month gives you about 10 active and quality members you might feel better because you have a goal in mind. Hope that explains the reasons for my post better.

Everything is numbers and crunching numbers can give you smarter goals that pay off more in the end and don't send you down a bridge to no where. Hope that helps.

Casual Pligger Lostshootingstar's Avatar
    I seem to have hit a registration freeze lately.

for the first week or two the site was up i got 30 registered users. I havn't got a single new registered user in the past two weeks combined.

I am up to almost $15.00 in adsense revenue though. so people are clicking, just not posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostshootingstar View Post
    I seem to have hit a registration freeze lately.

for the first week or two the site was up i got 30 registered users. I havn't got a single new registered user in the past two weeks combined.

I am up to almost $15.00 in adsense revenue though. so people are clicking, just not posting.
    Yeah, but you have a great looking site and a unique idea. Have you done any advertising?

I am up to 138 users. Things are going pretty well for H.A.H. all things considered. I have only begun to promote it. :devil: