Ok, there seems to be a SERIOUS issue with the page statistics module for Pligg v 9.8.2. Now, I am not reporting this as a BUG only because I am not sure if this is problem with my site only or a problem altogether. If it turns out to be a serious problem, then I am sure the moderators will move this thread to the bug forum.
I have a database filled with about 3000-4000 total links each month consistently. I delete all stories more than 31 days old at the end of every 30 days. In the beginning, I use to access it (page statistics module) to see which pages were being clicked on, etc. But then I switched over to a 3rd party service and haven't touched it since. So it worked fine when my database had only about 1000 links (or stories.)
Now is a different story altogether because I have a lot more stories. It appears that whenever you use the page statistics module with this many links (over 2500 is my guess), it is causing a major problem in MySQL, and as a result, it crashes the server. It seems to work fine with 2000 links or less -- but more than that, then it looks to be causing a problem.
Now mind you, my server is pretty strong. Under most conditions, the site uses about only 256MB of ram, so pligg is handling it's load fairly well. I have 4GB of ram -- but whenever I try to access the page stats module, that 4GB of ram gets chewed up within 30 seconds! Then the page swap kicks in, another 4GB of memory chewed up and within 30 seconds, the server crashes because it's completely out of memory. I tried this 3 times as a test, and all 3 times within about 1.5 minutes, the server crashed.
Now, again, this might just be me. I don't know because nobody else reported this happening to them. I am using MySQL v4.3 and PHP v4.3. I am warning people because this might be a serious problem. It can be a serious security issue too if someone did know about it, and then ran the script by typing in the URL just to crash your server all the time.
I have now disabled the page stats module and won't use it again -- and maybe some of you can test it as well and report back here. Again, it seems to work fine on a site with not so many stories -- but somewhere around 3000 or more stories, you might notice this issue if you use it, so be careful.