Thread: Show Upcoming News in homepage

Show Upcoming News in homepage

I have pligg install in sub directory and would like to show upcoming news titles on my home page like yahoo does. In a new file how can I display titles from only one category like this

So a lot of you have been asking how to display the number of upcoming stories in the tabs like Digg has. Well, I wanted to know how to do this too. So I did some research and digging around the code.

And using my very very ninja-like programming skills (which is noobie level), I have figured out the magic formula to the magic potion:

1.) Open up libs/smartyvariables.php with a text editor and find:
    Code:
    ################################################## ############
    //remove this after we eliminate the need for do_header
    $canIhaveAccess = 0;
    $canIhaveAccess = $canIhaveAccess + checklevel('god');
    if($canIhaveAccess == 1){$main_smarty->assign('isgod', 1);}
    $canIhaveAccess = $canIhaveAccess + checklevel('admin');
    if($canIhaveAccess == 1){$main_smarty->assign('isadmin', 1);}

check_actions('all_pages_top');
    ################################################## ################

add below it:
    Code:

// show count of upcoming stories
    $queued = $db->get_var('SELECT count(*) from ' . table_links . ' where link_status = "queued";');
    $main_smarty->assign('queued', $queued);and now you can use {$queued} to display the number of upcoming stories.

or, for those who don't know what I'm talking about... open up template/header.tpl and find:
    Code:

<div id="cab">
    <ul>
    {if $pagename eq "upcoming"}
    <li><a href="{$my_base_url}{$my_pligg_base}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Published_New s#}</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_upcoming}" class="navbut4"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Pligg_Queued# }</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_submit}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Submit_A_New_ Story#}</span></a></li>
    {elseif $pagename eq "published"}
    <li><a href="{$my_base_url}{$my_pligg_base}" class="navbut4"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Published_New s#}</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_upcoming}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Pligg_Queued# }</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_submit}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Submit_A_New_ Story#}</span></a></li>
    {elseif $pagename eq "submit"}
    <li><a href="{$my_base_url}{$my_pligg_base}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Published_New s#}</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_upcoming}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Pligg_Queued# }</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_submit}" class="navbut4"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Submit_A_New_ Story#}</span></a></li>
    {else}
    {/if}
    </ul>
    </div>
    ################################################## ######################

and replace it with:
    Code:

<div id="cab">
    <ul>
    {if $pagename eq "upcoming"}
    <li><a href="{$URL_upcoming}" class="navbut4"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Pligg_Queued# } ({$queued})</span></a></li>
    {elseif $pagename eq "published"}
    <li><a href="{$my_base_url}{$my_pligg_base}" class="navbut4"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Published_New s#}</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_upcoming}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Pligg_Queued# } ({$queued})</span></a></li>
    {elseif $pagename eq "submit"}
    <li><a href="{$URL_upcoming}" class="navbut3"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Pligg_Queued# } ({$queued})</span></a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL_submit}" class="navbut4"><span>{#PLIGG_Visual_Submit_A_New_ Story#}</span></a></li>
    {else}
    {/if}
    </ul>
    </div>

OK,cheers